Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"There's a girl in the garden!"

Ed: There's a girl in the garden.
Shaun: What?
Ed: In the garden, there is a girl

- Shaun of the Dead

Early in the morning on Monday, September 14th it started to downpour and the noise woke up Thomas so he opened our bedroom windows (which face the back yard) and listened to it for a while. Then he saw what he thought was a bunny (turns out it was just our cat Paisley). "There's a bunny in the backyard" i hear him say, but it's like 4am so i ignore him and go back to sleep. All of a sudden he's yelling "Get out of my backyard, you're trespassing." All i could think of is poor bunny, it just wants to hang out, it's not trespassing. Then someone replies from the back yard.

"Are you James? I'm looking for my boyfriend James"

Thomas just keeps repeating "Get out of my backyard, you're trespassing."

"What street is this? Where am I? Are you James? Please just tell me what street this is... I need to find James..."

Finally I'm awake enough to figure out what's going on so I call the police because she was trying to break into the shed. And Thomas goes out front to check on my car because a car alarm had started going off. The police didn't take very long to get to our house only like 5 minutes. I can hear the girl talking loudly with Thomas while I'm on the phone with the dispatcher waiting for the police to arrive.

The girl was standing next to Thomas as the cops roll up but then she bolts. They chase after her, but loose her. We hear later that she stole a neighbors bike and rode off. The cops saw her but thought they were looking for someone on foot so didn't pursue the person on the bike they saw.

They cops searched the surrounding yards for about 20 minutes then give up and tell us a bit about the girl. They've run into her before. Her name is Cassie and she's in her mid-twenties. She and some friends drove down her from Washington, but she was drunk and crashed her car and got a DUI for it. So now she has no way to get home and is stuck with some crappy friends.

She told Thomas that Sunday was her birthday and she has gone drinking and her friends and James left her and told her to meet them in some shed... for some reason she thought it was ours.

Poor girl. I hope she gets help and gets to go home.

1 comment:

mrs. koch said...

i'm so glad i took the time to come read this! ridiculous and hilarious all at the same time!!! better keep an eye on that shed ;) it's proven itself to be pretty popular.